If you are the adoring parents of a furry four-legged family member, you know the important role dogs play in the family dynamic, bringing lots of love and joy to your home. Of course, you also know the responsibility as well as the potential pet messes which also come with owning a dog, or two, or more. Here, Signature Maids provide tips and tricks to help you keep your home clean and tidy, a welcome retreat for human and canine family members.
Successfully Avoiding Pet Messes
Whether you are a long-time dog parent or it is your first time parenting a furry family member, these helpful hints can help you keep your home clean and organized for everyone who lives within its walls.
- Dog-Proofing 101 – If you have just adopted a dog – whether a rambunctious puppy or a loving older dog, begin the dog-proofing process from your dog’s eye level. Yes, it means you’ll need to get down on all fours on the floor and look for all the items which might intrigue your furry friend. Items like trash bins without lids, shiny/blinking electronics or cords, as well as food or drink remains left unattended, are often attractive to dogs who simply want to play, explore, and eat! Move food, drinks, and other items to higher ground, and if your furry pal likes raiding trash bins, consider adding lids or emptying the trash on a daily basis.
- Dog Bed Selection – While you might only think of comfort as the main need in a dog bed, in fact, you want to choose one with cleanliness in mind. Comfort is crucial, but so is choosing a bed that doesn’t trap fur or unwanted odors and one which can be easily cleaned. A dog bed with a removable cover is ideal because the cover can be washed easily and as frequently as needed in the washing machine.
- Towels and Lint Rollers are Your Friend – Don’t toss those older, worn towels, as they work wonders for keeping your pups and your flooring clean. Dogs enjoy outdoor play in all kinds of weather which can mean tracked in dirt and grime. Keep towels by each entryway used by your dog to keep dirt out, pups’ paws clean, and floors tidy. In like manner, lint rollers are helpful items when you have a furry companion in your home. Not only will they easily clean up fur which finds its way to sofas, beds, and chairs, but also from your clothes when you need to quickly head out the door for work or to run errands.
- A Quality Vacuum and A Quality Cleaning Service – Even if you have a quality cleaning service, like the one at Signature Maids, you’ll also want a quality vacuum for those in-between cleaning cleanups which come along with pet ownership. You’ll want a vacuum with a HEPA filter of course, but also one which can get rid of pet hair easily on carpeting, upholstery, and even hard flooring surfaces. Choose a vacuum with rubber trim and raised edges on floor attachments, as well as tangle free brushes, and easy to empty canisters and cups. Adding anti-static spray to your fabric surfaces before vacuuming can also help.
- Consider an Air Purifier – If you adore your pets but also have allergies, an air purifier can help allergy flair-ups and keep your home free from sometimes unpleasant pet odors. Choose an air purifier with a HEPA filter, certified to remove 99.97 percent of allergens like pet dander and more.
Call on Signature Maids to Help
These tips can help you keep your home free from pet messes, but when the messes happen and you need professional assistance, call on the team at Signature Maids to help. You might even find that adding regular cleaning services is just what you need to keep your home at its best for you and your furry family members.