It is easy to get distracted while you clean and organize your home. Sometimes it’s a result of not wanting to change your old habits or try a new way of doing something; other times it’s because there is so much to be done, you flit from one task to another never completing any of the cleaning tasks at hand. At Signature Maids Cleaning Service, we’ve been at the business of cleaning for more than 10 years and would like to share some of our tips and tricks which promise to save you time while you clean.
- Clean as You Go Throughout the Day. This is not a new tip, in fact, it is probably one you heard from your parents or grandparents. It works especially well in the bathroom and kitchen, two areas which experience high traffic flow every day. As you prepare food and cook meals, wipe surfaces, and place utensils, plates, pots, and pans in the sink or dishwasher. Taking the time to wipe the microwave, stove, and refrigerator following use is also a great way to save time when deeper cleaning is needed. Similarly, in the bathroom, wipe counters and the sink after getting ready each day. If you will keep cleaning supplies in the kitchen and bathroom, you’ll find this habit will quickly catch on.
- Only Clean When and Where it is Needed. This will be hard for some of you, but think about it, do you really need to vacuum the guest room no one uses every week? The truth is no, you don’t. In fact, you don’t have to vacuum or dust every where every week. Dust when you see dust, vacuum as needed.
- Clean from Top to Bottom. This does not negate #2, but rather means when you do clean, work your way down. Take dusting for instance, household dust is subject to gravity, so dust higher surfaces first and end with the floor. And while we are on the subject, a lint roller is a great way to dust lampshades and a soft cloth is all you need on hard surfaces.
- Floor Cleaning. In a busy household, crumbs, spills, and dirt are inevitable. To help keep your floors clean, place welcome mats at all doors where everyone can wipe their feet before entering. If your family is used to eating all over the house, change the rule to allow eating only at the kitchen table, island, or dining room table can make a big difference in what lands on your floors and carpets. When you do vacuum, mop, or clean your floors, know the surface you are cleaning and what works best to get the job done well.
- Laundry. Laundry is an ongoing cleaning chore that never goes away, and yet there are ways to make the process a little easier. First, if clothes are clean, teach your family members to hang them up and wear them again. Next, write down and post basic laundry instructions so that everyone in your household is involved in washing, drying, folding, and putting away. Delegating is an often-overlooked tool you need to add to your home cleaning arsenal.
- Short Daily Cleaning Sprees. Like cleaning as you go through your daily routine, daily 15-minute sprees can help you keep things clean and clutter free all week long. Plus, these little cleaning sprees can make short work of those whole home cleaning days. Choose a location each day that you will clean, declutter, or organize for 15 minutes. And remember, decluttering may mean getting rid of items you no longer need or use. Set a timer when you begin so you won’t go overtime.
If you still feel you are short on time, call on the professionals at Signature Maids to help you with expert, affordable cleaning that fits your schedule.