With spring comes allergy season, and along with them a host of allergies triggered by mold, dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens. In the United States alone there are an estimated 50 million individuals who suffer from hay fever (allergic rhinitis), making allergies the sixth leading cause of chronic illness.
Professional Duct Cleaning
Nearly every spring when allergy season arrives, there are companies who promise duct cleaning in your home to reduce allergens and improve health. And while there are no studies showing conclusively this is true, it does make sense that by minimizing exposure to allergens, those with allergies will feel better. HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems force air through the ducts in your home, and you can often tell when they need cleaning by mold or dust around your vents. Also helpful in determining if your ducts need professional cleaning is by the age of your home. If your home is more than 10 years old, you feel you can never get rid of all the dust, or you experience an increase in allergy problems when HVAC system is on, you may need to have your ducts professionally cleaned.
To have the air ducts in your home cleaned properly, you’ll need to call on the professionals who will help you identify the source of your issues first. Mold, along with mice, cockroaches, and other pests can be contributing factors and will need to be addressed, so after the cleaning the problem won’t recur quickly. Professional duct cleaners will then seal your ducts and begin cleaning with powerful vacuums and other tools. Each home is different depending on the contributing issues and the material from which the duct work is made. If chemicals are needed, do your own due diligence before agreeing to their use in your home, as many can trigger allergies, asthma, and headaches.
The duct cleaning process for an average home (2,000 sq. ft.) will cost around $600, and take a few hours (up to five) to complete. Always research the company you are considering for the work carefully, checking online reviews, the Better Business Bureau, and more.
Help Rid Your Home of Allergens
While professional air duct cleaning is a good idea, there are a number of cleaning techniques you can use to help your home remain allergen free. Remember, ductwork requires a reputable, professional team and specialized tools to get the job done, but you can help allergy-proof your home with these tips from Signature Maids.
- Keep your ventilation covers clean to prevent the accumulation of allergen filled debris.
- Check and change your air filters often – all year long – not only during allergy season.
- Keep allergens outside by keeping windows closed during allergy season.
- Have your family and friends remove their shoes outside to avoid tracking allergens in the house.
- Keep your house below 50 percent humidity, above that level created the optimum breading ground for mold and dust mites.
- Dust weekly or more often with microfiber clothes and specialized dusters.
- Vacuum weekly or more often if you have pets.
- Keep pets off of upholstered furniture and your beds, as they inadvertently bring allergens in attached to their fur.
- Wash clothes and bed linens often to remove allergens like dust mites, pollen, and more.
If you need help keeping your home allergen free, call on the team at Signature Maids to give you the assistance you need to make your home an allergy-free zone.