Everyone is so busy these days, house cleaning is often only done “on the surface.” You know, like vacuuming, dusting, mopping, and wiping floors and surfaces used most often and most visible. Other areas of your home likely get lost in the midst of active modern lifestyles. Here is a monthly check list to help you clean all those commonly overlooked items and areas, so little messes don’t cause big problems in the future.
- Clean Blinds, Windows, Sills, and Baseboards – While blinds and baseboards don’t need to be included in your weekly cleaning, you don’t want to avoid them so long that you simply can’t get them clean. For blinds, be sure to wipe both sides of the blades gently. Windows need cleaning on the inside monthly, and while you are there clean your windowsills as well. For baseboards, wiping them down monthly will keep the built-up dirt and grime away.
- Give Appliances Attention –
- Starting with the washing machine, you want to let it go through its cleaning cycle on hot, with detergent and bleach, to kill any germs living inside. You’ll need to wipe down the outside monthly as well. For your dryer, wipe it down as well. And don’t forget to always empty your lint trap.
- In the kitchen, the garbage disposal also needs monthly cleaning. Pour half a cup of baking soda along with one cup of white vinegar down the drain connected to the disposal. After a few minutes, follow the mixture with boiling water. Next, fill your drain with ice cubes and a cup of salt to clear away debris, ending with lemon halves to get rid of unwanted odors. Now, move your attention to the dishwasher, removing the filter and washing it to rid it of food particles. Finally, spread a cup of baking soda on the bottom and leave it for twelve hours before adding a cup of white vinegar and running the hot wash cycle. Your range hood filter also needs cleaning monthly. Using dishwashing liquid, baking soda and water will successfully get rid of the grease. Your microwave is next, and if it is like most, it works hard. Deep clean it monthly inside and out to keep it working well. Last but not least, clean your refrigerator grill, removing dust which blocks the airflow and keeps your refrigerator from running at optimum efficiency.
- Don’t Forget the HVAC System – Check your HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) filters monthly and replace them at least quarterly, but more often if necessary. By doing so, you keep your home and inside air cleaner. While you are at it, dust your air vents monthly to prevent excess dust in your home.
- Head Outside – Sweep your walkways, decks, and patios, keeping them clear of leaves, dirt, and other debris. You may also want to sweep out the garage as well, making the annual garage cleaning easier.
- Light Fixtures and Ceiling Fans – Keeping your light fixtures and ceiling fans regularly cleaned will brighten your rooms and keep dust from spreading and settling around your home.
- Vacuum and Refresh Your Upholstered Furniture – Sprinkle your upholstered furniture with baking soda and leave it for 20 minutes before vacuuming. Doing so will get rid of odors and even removed light stains.
- In the Bathroom – Check your sink, tub, and shower drains monthly, removing debris first. Next, add a cup of baking soda to each drain following with hot water to further clean and maintain the flow. If your grout needs cleaning, old toothbrushes with a bit of your favorite cleaner are ideal for cleaning grout.
Need a Little Help with Your Monthly Checklist?
This checklist should keep you on track with monthly cleaning tasks, but if you need help, call on the experts at Signature Maids who will get every item in your home thoroughly clean.